Being careful about sterilizing feeding bottles helps reduce diseases and infections which may affect the baby severely. Mothers have to make sure that they do not contain bacteria or germs because of the babies’ weakened immune systems. So that we will show you how to sterilize glass feeding bottles and how often to sterilize pacifiers.
Sterilization of feeding bottle
There are several methods to sterilize feeding bottles, which in turn kill the bacteria or germs that harm your baby’s health. It is important to sterilize feeding bottles frequently during your baby’s first year; that is why we will explain more than one way to sterilize feeding bottles properly in addition to how often to sterilize pacifier.
Sterilization of Plastic and Glass Feeding Bottles by Boiling
Exposing the baby bottle or pacifier to boiled water helps in sterilizing feeding bottles and sterilize glass feeding bottle by killing any bacteria or germs inside and outside the feeding bottle.
This can be done by applying the following:
- Bring a large bowl and put the bottle and all its accessories inside it, immersing them completely in water.
- Put the bowl on the fire, let the water boil for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat (with the need to make sure that the bottle is made of heat-resistant material.
- Leave the water to cool down and before picking up the bottle, we sterilize our hands, then pick up the bottle and dry it from water.
- Put the bottle in another clean bowl then in a refrigerator until using it again.
Sterilization of Plastic and Glass Feeding Bottles by Chemical Solutions
Sterilize feeding bottles and glass feeding bottle with chemical solutions by using water-soluble tablets or disinfectant solutions, it can be done by the following:
- Bring the sterilization solution and apply its written instructions.
- Place the feeding bottle in the sterilizing solution, making sure that they are completely immersed with no bubbles.
- Leave the feeding bottle for the written duration on the solution, and often does not exceed half an hour.
- Don’t rinse the feeding bottle after the solution, just let the bottle dry.
Sterilization of Baby Feeding Bottles by Steam
The same as the previous method, but through an electric sterilizer device as it depends on a high enough temperature to kill bacteria and germs.
This method of sterilizing plastic and glass feeding bottles is done through an electric sterilizer that works in the same way as boiling, as it depends on a high enough temperature to kill bacteria, follow these instructions to apply the sterilization correctly:
- Place the bottles and accessories inside the device with the feeding opening facing down.
- Follow the instructions recommended by the device’s produced company regarding the appropriate amount of water, method and duration.
- It is possible to leave the bottles inside the device locked until use.
Sterilization of Baby Feeding Bottles by Microwave
Bottles can easily be sterilized through the microwave as follows:
- Read the microwave instructions carefully to know the appropriate temperature for sterilization.
- Avoid placing any feeding bottle with a metal part.
- Put the feeding bottles in a plastic container with water and do not put them directly in the microwave, so they do not melt or spoil.
How To Sterilize Glass Feeding Bottle
In addition to the previous methods, sterilize glass feeding bottles in one of the following ways which are effective to sterilize glass feeding bottle:
Glass Feeding Bottle Sterilization by Vinegar
White vinegar is effective in killing germs and bacteria, it is used to sterilize glass feeding bottle’s surface and equipment effectively, so you can sterilize glass feeding bottles with vinegar as follows:
- Put the glass feeding bottle in a deep bowl, then add an equal amount of white vinegar and water, mixing the mixture well.
- Put the glass feeding bottle in the solution and leave them steeped long enough.
- Wash the glass feeding bottle and all accessories with cold water.
- The vinegar will help rid the bottles of any sticky spots or unpleasant smells.
- It is worth noting that after applying this method, it is necessary to wash the bottle well so that the milk does not spoil when placed in the bottle.
Glass Feeding Bottle Sterilization by Salt
Salt is commonly used in sterilization in general, the way to use it in sterilize feeding bottles simply and easy as follows:
- Wash the glass feeding bottle with lukewarm water.
- Take a large, deep bowl then add water and salt.
- Put the glass feeding bottle in the saline solution for 5 minutes.
- Take away the glass feeding bottle from the bowl and wash them well with lukewarm water.
- You can use the bottle brush when sterilizing the glass feeding bottle to wash it well.
- Dry the bottles with clean kitchen towels to get rid of all the water.
- It is worth noting that this method of sterilizing bottles is not applied to the bottle’s nipples, so the salt does not get stuck in them and harm the baby.
How To Sterilize Plastic Feeding Bottle
We will show you more than one way to sterilize plastic feeding bottles effectively:
The first method
- After the baby finishes feeding, wash the bottle with lukewarm water, then put the bottle in boiled water and some dish soap, close and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Use the bottle’s brush to clean the inside of the bottle and make sure all milk residue is removed.
- After making sure that the bottle is completely clean, rinse it again with lukewarm water well and let it dry so that bacteria do not form on it again.
The second method (sterile tablets)
These tablets are effective in killing bacteria and germs when placed in boiling water. It is necessary to leave these tablets inside the feeding bottle with boiling water for at least a quarter of an hour in order to kill bacteria and germs.
How To Wash Baby Feeding Bottles
We have shown you the best methods to sterilize feeding bottles, Now, we will show you how to clean plastic and glass bottles so that they are safe for the baby:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Separate all feeding bottle parts.
- Wash the feeding bottle with water to get rid of any milk residue that is stuck in it, whether it is warm or cold, and never steep it while it is not clean.
- Put the feeding bottle and accessories in a bowl.
- Add boiled water and soap to the bowl.
- With the bottle’s brush, scrub each piece and pass water through the nipple openings to make sure they are clean.
- Rinse the bottle and all its parts to get rid of soap residue with water.
- Put the feeding bottle and all its accessories on clean paper or a cotton towel.
- Leave the bottle to dry completely and do not rub it with a towel, so as not to transmit bacteria and germs again.
When should you sterilize feeding bottles?
There are some cases to sterilize feeding bottles, which are:
If you are using the feeding bottle for the first time
When purchasing the feeding bottle, mothers may think that the feeding bottle is clean and sterile, but you won't imagine how many germs it contains that got into during packaging, so it is necessary to sterilize the feeding bottle immediately after purchase and before use.
If the feeding bottle fallen to the ground
It is possible for the baby to throw the feed on the floor (this is a baby's hobby at this age) and then try to catch it again, before giving it to him again, it is necessary that she be sterilized, even if the mother had sterilized her before, especially if you enter your home with shoes or having a pet.
If milk remains in the feeding bottle for a long time
When the mother leaves the feeding bottle from night to day, then it is best to follow the appropriate method to sterilize the feeding bottle after washing them, in order to eliminate all germs and bacteria that formed during the night.
How often do I sterilize the feeding bottle or the pacifier?
- During the first 4 months of the baby’s life, it is necessary to take care of washing the feeding bottle well and sterilizing it after each feeding, by separating its parts and placing them in boiling water or placing them in the sterilization device or microwave.
- After the baby is 4 months old, you can follow the feeding bottle sterilization once every day and after each feeding.
- After the first year of the baby’s life, the number of sterilization times can be reduced and it is sufficient to wash the feeding bottle with soap and water after use.
Effective Tips to sterilize the feeding bottles
Here are some tips the mother should consider when applying any method to sterilize feeding bottles:
- Acquire how to sterilize feeding bottles properly and safely.
- Allocate an appropriate bowl that is used every time to sterilize the feeding bottle, and not be used in cooking again.
- Mom should be careful when pouring boiling water into the pot for sterilization and do it in a place away from the baby.
- Mom has to ensure the safety of the pacifier and the bottle accessories.
- Do not leave feeding bottles to air dry after sterilization so that they are not exposed to bacteria and germs again.
- The milk feeding bottle shouldn’t be used for any other kind of liquids such as herbs and juices, so as not to change its color.
- It is necessary to change the nipples for feeding bottles every 3 months while choosing the nipple that suits the age of the child.
- The feeding bottle should be changed if its smell, even with cleaning and sterilization, changes in color, or if it is broken or cracked.
When should you change the baby’s feeding bottle?
It is necessary to pay attention to changing the baby's feeding bottle from time to time in order to ensure safety
There are a number of cases that require changing the feeding bottle, including:
- It is necessary to change the feeding bottle in case its size is small so that it is no longer sufficient for the baby’s needs, or if it is not suitable for him or is uncomfortable during feeding.
- It is necessary to change the feeding bottle immediately if it is broken or cracked.
- It is necessary to change the feeding bottle whether it’s made of plastic or glass in case the bottle’s smell or color has changed.
Finally, we have explained more than one way how to sterilize feeding bottles, how often to sterilize pacifier and how to sterilize glass feeding bottle, you need to know that used to sterilize plastic feeding bottles and other sterilization ways used to sterilize glass feeding bottles and there are ways that suit all types of bottles, but it is necessary to make sure of the raw materials is made and what is appropriate for your baby.