It is a critical issue for breast care during pregnancy and after delivery. It is preferable for the mother to know the correct way to breast care after delivery, in addition to the period of pregnancy and breastfeeding to pass safely for the mother and the child, as breast care avoids the mother from experiencing many difficulties; because it considers as is one of the challenges that every mother faces and the mother may feel discomfort and pain due to ulceration of the nipples if the mother didn’t receive a good breast care post partum.
Instructions for breast care after birth
Breast care after delivery requires following some important instructions, including:
- The breast will fill the breast after delivery, It is necessary to get rid of some of this milk, whether it is naturally through breastfeeding or through any related device, so that the breast doesn’t become engorged causes a very annoying pain.
- Applying warm compresses to the breast after feeding or taking a warm shower will prevent milk from accumulating on the breast and nipple, resulting in inflammation.
- As a preventative measure, to avoid milk leaking from the breast and the embarrassment it causes, a mother should maintain an adequate breastfeeding schedule. the mother should use pads without a plastic backing or padded ones so as not to cause nipple inflammation and to be changed at each feed.
- Mothers should protect the nipples from cracking by accustoming the baby to a Good Latch by putting the breast in his mouth correctly so that the entire nipple is inside the mouth during feeding.
- In order to prevent drying out of the nipples, expose them to continuous ventilation and dry them immediately after cleaning.
- Wear a well-fitting breast bra, preferably the one used for breastfeeding.
- You should avoid wearing tight bras to prevent ductblockage in the breasts.
- When it comes to right breast care post partum, it is necessary to consult with a specialist doctor if the condition in the breast area has long improved, but has caused inconvenience to the mother or child, because if ignored, the condition may worsen.
How to breast care during pregnancy?
During pregnancy, the breast may start to become engorged and more sensitive, the pregnant woman may notice that the nipples have changed color and faded dry and cracked, breast care during pregnancy is important before and after delivery, This can be done through several simple instructions such as:
Breast massage may treat many symptoms that appear during pregnancy such as cracked nipples and stretch marks, so the mother can use any moisturizer or maybe olive oil and start rubbing the place around the nipple in a circular motion through the fingertips, with the nipple pulled out in a gentle manner, continue for about 5 minutes, Breast massage have positive effects, including:
- The milk flow inside the breast increases after delivery and the process of lactation improves naturally.
- Breast massage makes the breasts softer, and the breast glands are smoothed.
- Breast massage stimulates the nipples and facilitates the baby feeding.
It is important during the massage not to press hard on the breast, with the use of fingertips only, The mother should stop the massage if feels pain and should avoid massaging the nipples a lot during the last months of pregnancy because this stimulates childbirth.
Stay active and eat healthy
Mothers should breast care during pregnancy and breast care after delivery by performing arm exercises that provide sufficient strength for the breast muscles and limit pain you may feel in this area, while trying to follow a healthy diet that helps to flow of milk. Mother should not exaggerate in the exercise of any physical activity and to consider going to the doctor in urgent conditions and to help you to choose the appropriate exercise routine post partum.
Wearing appropriate bras
One of the best ways to breast care during pregnancy is to wear a comfortable bra, and it is preferable that it be made of cotton, because the breast expands during pregnancy. the mother should also wears comfortable bras without disturbing her breast and it’s preferable to use the sports bras that maintain strong breast muscles and reduce sagging.
Examine your nipples
A flat or inverted nipple causes obstacles to breastfeeding naturally. If the mother suffers from either of these two types of nipples, she can rely on the device that pulls the nipple out and treats the inverted nipple, which is sold in pharmacies, but it is better to consult the physician in the first place, It is possible to treat the nipples in another way unless the mother is at risk of premature birth.
Whether breast care during pregnancy or breast care after delivery, The mother has to pay attention to her hygiene needs also may notice leakage of milk from the nipple during pregnancy or what is known as colostrum, accordingly, the mother has to use medical breast pads prepared for absorbing fluids, and if the mother does not feel comfortable when using them; She can take care of cleaning the area with a clean cotton swab dipped in warm water every day, without using soap or any other cleaning material that contains alcohol, because it results in dryness and pain.
The mother should pay attention to doing a breast examination in order to discover the changes that occur to it in order to inform the therapist and the pregnant woman should not leave the breast area wet so that the nipples do not crack, and not rub the place with a rough towel after bathing so that the nipples do not crack as well.
Breast care while breastfeeding
Breast care after delivery should continue throughout the lactation period. You may apply the following instructions:
- The mother should know the correct way to breastfeed, to make sure that the child attaches to the nipple properly and knows the correct breastfeeding positions, and not worry about the amount of milk in the beginning, because this is done gradually and may take a few days.
- The mother should moisten the breast and nipples with the same breast milk by squeezing a few drops of it and rubbing the breast and nipple to get wet and treats any cracking or inflammation that the nipple suffers.
- The mother have to avoid pulling the nipple out of the baby's mouth, This action is taken by most mothers automatically, such as when she wants to change the feeding position or when the child presses on the nipple, but this is very harmful to the nipple, and may even cause cracks and ulcers.
- The mother may use a cream or ointment to treat cracked nipples, as there are many suitable types of cream but it is best to refer to the doctor to recommend a suitable one for the child that does not harm him during breastfeeding and washing the place before feeding.
Finally, we have shown you ways to breast care during pregnancy and breast care after delivery with very important instructions for taking care of this area because it is not only positive for the mother, but also helps to breastfeed the baby better.