A breast pump has become my number one companion on my journey through motherhood and breastfeeding as it allows me to collect and express milk when it's convenient for me. Finding the best breast pumps can be a lifesaver for any mum who decides to breastfeed. The best breast pump for you will be determined by your lifestyle and personal preferences, but for many breastfeeding parents, there are a few brands and types that consistently score high on the list. Here are the top breast pumps on the market.
What Types of Breast Pumps Are There?
Breast pumps are classified into four categories:
1. Breast pumps designed for hospitals:
These heavy-duty pumps include powerful motors and a higher number of "sucks" every minute. Renting hospital-grade pumps is common because they can cost up to $1,000 to buy.
2. Electric breast pumps:
It is effective, portable, and the suction and speed are adjustable. Some models come with battery packs, allowing you to pump without being attached to a power source. Electric pumps often come with a carrying bag and a refrigerator for transporting milk, making them a popular choice among working mothers. Although single electric breast pumps are available, the more popular—and more efficient—option is a double pump.
3. Wearable electric breast pumps (also known as hands-free pumps):
Wearable breast pumps are exactly what they sound like: hands-free, entirely portable breast pumps that you can put in your bra. They've been increasingly popular in recent years. It contains pump "cups" that go over each breast, as well as flanges and milk bags. Wearable pumps allow you to pump in different positions, regardless of where you are.
4. Manual breast pumps
Using your own hand to create suction and pump your milk. Some are simple to use with just one hand, while others require two. These pumps are quiet and small (about the size of a bottle) making them ideal for travel or infrequent pumping.
Here are the breast pumps we think are the best of the best for moms.
The Spectra S1 will transform your life!
- The Spectra S1 electric breast pump allows comfortable suction levels that mimic the experience of natural breastfeeding.
- Light and rechargeable, making it ideal for a working mom. It also has a back compartment that fits a Spectra bottle.
- You can use it as a single electric breast pump or a double one. For best results, authentic Spectra Baby accessories are recommended.
- The Spectra backflow protector creates a complete physical barrier between your milk and the pump motor, protecting your milk while also being easy to clean and maintain.
- Made by Moms, for Moms.
Hand pump made of natural silicone, easy to use, easy to clean, and lightweight without wires, batteries, or accessories, just a small base you attach to the table and a cover when you're on the go. Available in 100 and 150 ml sizes- once it is firmly attached to the nipple and with only one pressure, it completes the pumping by itself!
- The compact size allows it to fit into any space.
- Perfect for long distance trips, planes, car rides or anywhere you would like to discreetly express silently and quickly.
- you can put it in the dishwasher or it can be boiled and sterilized using steam sterilizers.
- Designed to fit breasts of all sizes and shapes.
Philips Avant's compact electric breast pump provides new moms with maximum comfort conditions.
- You can pick between four stimulation modes and four expression settings to make expressing milk as comfortable and efficient as possible.
- The soft material of the massage cushion helps you stimulate the milk flow.
- This breast pump features a special rhythmic wave technology which imitates the baby's natural sucking and swallowing rhythm and thus helps the milk flow faster and more efficiently.
- You can choose from 3 expression settings (low, medium, high) after starting in the gentle stimulation mode
- Lightweight, compact design for easy use and transport.
- The Lansinoh electronic device is designed to help mothers express milk efficiently and quietly.
- Lansinoh performs a two-stage suction process; The first stimulates the breasts to flow and the second mimics the baby's natural sucking process.
- It has 6 degrees of suction power that can be easily adjusted with the "-" and "+" controls.
- Its screen is easy to use and useful, for example, you can immediately see the suction speed of the pump.
As a result of its importance, many mothers need to use a breast pump. They may suffer from health conditions that prevent them from breastfeed, or they may work, or even they may just want to sleep comfortably at night and delegate feeding to their fathers! It is really a lifesaver invention for mothers as it can relieve breast engorgement pain and also increase milk supply. Don't hesitate to pick one up!