Motherhood is full of troubles and difficult situations that exhaust the mother and the child, such as the child’s pains, cramps, and the child’s fever from time to time. Sometimes the child needs to consult a doctor in order to detect the cause and receive appropriate treatment, and in most cases it is normal and the heat goes away using wet towel to reduce fever.
In this article, we will learn the ways of reduce the child fever and how using wet towel to reduce fever
Where do you put a towel for a fever?
- Head and forehead: You will be surprised that these are the least effective areas for reducing the child's fever, and doctors advise not to put towels on them because they harm the child.
- Back of the neck: the most effective areas in reducing the fever because it contains many blood vessels, but it is difficult to control the child.
- The area between the thighs: It is one of the safe and very effective areas in reducing the fever due to the presence of blood vessels in it.
- Underarms/armpits: Wetting this area with cold water quickly relieves heat, making it highly effective.
What are the types of fever towels?
1. Cold Towels
One of the common first aid methods is using wet towel to reduce fever to protect the child from the dangers of high fever.
Do cold towels help fever and how to use them?
- Put ice cubes in a plastic bag in the refrigerator or use towels soaked in cold or lukewarm water for babies.
- Put the towel on the place of hypothermia of the child, or the areas affected by pain, and make sure that the child tolerates the cold well.
- Do not put ice directly on the child's skin, so as not to harm the skin and not to frostbite the child.
- Leave the cold towels for 10 minutes and repeat it more than once until the heat goes away.
- Dry the area with a dry towel and monitor the child's temperature. If he does not feel better, consult a doctor immediately.
2. Hot Towels
Hot towels are used to relieve muscle spasms that occur to a child as a result of continuous playing and running, or due to routine immunizations and vaccinations for children.
How can you use a warm towel for children?
- Put hot water in a suitable container, immerse the towel in water, and leave it for a few minutes.
- Put the wet towel on the pain place and make sure that its heat does not hurt the child.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and repeat the process 3 times daily.
- Use a hot water bottle and place it on the site of the injury to relieve cramping.
3. Cold Gel
A gel pack sold in pharmacies that contain refrigerant gel, or liquid to reduce a child's fever quickly and effectively.
How can you use a cold gel?
- Buy cold gel from the pharmacy and keep them in the refrigerator for direct use.
- Open the cold gel and stick the adhesive tape in the places to reduce the fever in children.
- Leave it to give the child a sense of coolness, as the water evaporates from inside, the skin temperature decreases.
- The duration of applying gel compresses for children starts from half an hour or more, depending on the child’s temperature.
- It is very suitable for use while sleeping to keep the child safe from the fever, because its effect lasts up to 8 hours.
What are the mistakes parents make when treating their child's fever?
- Put the child under a cold shower directly, which harms his health and causes serious convulsions or goosebumps.
- Give medication too quickly, and neglect using wet towel to reduce fever.
- Using alcohol or vinegar to reduce the temperature, which exposes the child's skin to inflammation.
When should you consult a doctor?
- If the child's fever persists for more than 24 hours and the cold towels do not help.
- If the child's immunity is very weak due to a disease and his body does not respond to home attempts.
- If the child has convulsions or weakness or dehydration.
- If the child has cold symptoms such as respiratory infections or diarrhea and vomiting.