Breastfeeding is one of the most effective ways to nourish a child and ensure his safety and physical health. It also strengthens the relationship of love, trust, and safety between the mother and the child. Familiarity and love increase when the mother is comfortable in the breastfeeding position. That is why most mothers like to use a nursing pillow to make breastfeeding easy and simple. This article will talk about the nursing pillow, its importance, and how to use it to ensure the comfort of the mother and her child.
What is a nursing pillow?
The nursing pillow is a tool that facilitates breastfeeding for the mother and the child. It is made of the finest fabrics that give the child comfort and softness. It is also filled with an elastic filling that does not cause irritation or sensitivity to the skin, to make the child comfortable and enjoyable, and relieve the mother from the suffering of the breastfeeding stage.
What are the benefits of using a nursing pillow?
- The nursing pillow gives both the mother and the baby comfort during breastfeeding sessions.
- Relieve back, neck, and shoulder pain that occurs while breastfeeding the baby in the wrong position.
- Determine a certain height to carry the child in a correct sitting position instead of carrying him in the hands.
- It is useful for women during pregnancy to relax, support the back and reduce heartburn.
- It reduces the pressure on the caesarean section wound and does not affect the sutures.
- It is used to place the baby on his stomach to treat abdominal pain and digestive problems.
- It surrounds the child's body and supports his back in the sitting stage to protect his head from harm.
- Ideal for feeding twins safely and comfortably without feeling stressed or tired.
- An ideal remedy for women who suffer from blocked milk ducts and difficulty breastfeeding.
- The pillow helps strengthen the muscles of the body and develop motor skills in the child.
How to use a nursing pillow?
The method of using a nursing pillow is the most important thing for nursing mothers because it has an effective role in facilitating the task of breastfeeding, especially if the baby is small, namely:
- Surround the nursing pillow around your waist with ease, with the open part at the back, and place your baby on it quietly.
- Support your back the way you prefer and are comfortable with it so that you do not feel tired, and support your child with your hand from the bottom of the pillow.
- Bring your baby's head close to breast level so that he can nurse properly without having to bend down.
- If the height of the pillow is short, you can add additional pillows that raise the baby up so that he can reach the breast easily.
How do you choose the most appropriate nursing pillow for you and your child?
Since there are different types of nursing pillows in the market and different international brands, we would like to inform you of the criteria for purchasing a nursing pillow to give you the comfort you desire:
- Choose the appropriate size nursing pillow for you and your baby so that the pillow does not fall or the baby slips out of it.
- Choose a pillow that is lightweight and portable so that it is easy for you to move it from room to room.
- Choose durable, high-quality fabrics that are water- and stain-resistant so that you can clean and wash them easily.
- Make sure the type of filling you're getting is hypoallergenic and won't irritate your skin before you buy it.
- Make sure that the nursing pillow is free of carcinogenic chemicals that are harmful to the baby's health.
- Follow the reviews, opinions, and previous experiences of mothers to make sure of the quality of the pillow before purchasing it.
What are the types of breastfeeding pillows?
- The open side pillow in the shape of the crescent moon and the letter C, can be used to support the baby and breastfeed him easily, and it is also used to support the back from the back, especially for pregnant women.
- The adjustable pillow is the pillow that supports a woman's back while breastfeeding her baby, with the aim of relieving lower and mid-back pain.
- The breastfeeding pillow is rectangular and open in the middle, the baby is placed on it in the middle, and it often comes with multiple layers to raise the baby's level to the breast.
- A pillow with a flat and straight belt that is attached tightly to the back of the nursing mother, and remains close to the mother's body, even when she is standing and moving.
What are the disadvantages of a breastfeeding pillow?
The nursing pillow does not cause any harm, but how to use a breastfeeding pillow is what harms the child and mother. It is not permissible at all to place the child’s head on the edge of the pillow in a dangerous position that causes his head to be thrown back, nor is it permissible to fix the child’s chin in a way that may lead to suffocation. To avoid any harmful damage, you must follow the instructions written on the product before using it.
Did you know what suits you? You can visit the Qatar Moms store to buy the appropriate breastfeeding pillow to ensure comfort for you and your little one